Compliance & Certification Made Easy
ISO 13485 is an international standard that deals with delivering medical devices and services that fulfill both regulatory and client requirements. In essence, ISO 13485 is a quality management system that focuses on medical devices. For companies involved in producing medical devices or delivering services, ISO 13485 offers a way to ensure quality with each job. Thanks to its flexibility, the medical devices industry can utilize ISO 13485 in any stage of its product life cycle development.
Why Is ISO 13485 Relevant?
While it’s mostly a self-contained document, the ISO 13485 standard is based on the ISO 9001 standard for quality management systems. However, a distinct difference between the ISO 13485 system and ISO 9001 is that the former only needs a company to implement and maintain the standard. The latter deals with continual improvement. Reaching compliance with ISO 13485 is the first step in achieving European regulatory requirements, which is necessary to get and maintain business within the EU. The international standard is noteworthy as it forms the basis of many other criteria globally. Compliance with ISO 13485 will almost guarantee compliance with different global standards or allow a business to adopt changes to bring about full compliance.
The Benefits of ISO 13485 For Businesses
A business stands to benefit significantly from implementing the ISO 13485 standards in its production of medical devices. As a quality management system, the standard ensures that companies can guarantee their products conform to a certain quality level. Among the benefits that the standard offers to companies include:
- A reduction in costs. The standard makes processes within the company more efficient, allowing it to save money that would be wasted on extraneous steps within the process.
- More trustworthy image to clients. In the world of medical devices, having a reputation for quality products ensures that clients will seek out your company and look forward to working with you.
- Better risk management. Implementing ISO 13485 allows a company to have better practices to deal with risk within the processes. More effective risk management means better outcomes on a per-process basis.
- More attractive to potential clients. Adhering to the ISO 13485 standard sends a message to potential clientele that you take your production processes seriously. Achieving certification requires going through the steps to ensure your production process is efficient. The accreditation is a sign to those clients that you meet international standards for production.
- Become compliant with other regulatory systems. The standard serves as a basis for other regulatory frameworks, and by meeting compliance, a business may also be compliant with those external regulations. The standard has been recognized and adopted by the Global Harmonization Task Force (GHTF) as the MDQMS standard for the medical industry.
ISO 9001 and ISO 13485
The ISO 13485 standard is derived from the ISO 9001 standard, but there are some significant differences. A company looking to achieve ISO 13485 might want to look at ISO 9001 compliance first. If the business is already ISO 9001 compliant, it’s already halfway there to being compliant with ISO 13485. The differences between the standards come from the fact that ISO 13485 is focused on the medical devices industry while ISO 9001 is more general. Even so, having ISO 9001 certification can provide a boost to a company seeking ISO 13485 compliance, even though they don’t need to do so.
Is ISO 13485 Mandatory?
No ISO standard is mandatory, and the same goes for ISO 13485. Many medical device manufacturers don’t see it as feasible to put the time and effort into achieving compliance. However, even though the standard isn’t mandatory, it provides enough benefits to some businesses that it’s desirable. One of the best examples is the EU Medical Devices Regulations (MDR). While the EU MDR doesn’t require a company to be ISO 13485 compliant to operate within the zone, it does require that businesses have an established QMS. The ISO 13485 is the most effective way of ensuring the company has a working QMS in keeping with international expectations and standards. Thus, by meeting the standard, the business already achieves the requirements to operate within the EU.
Are you interested in achieving ISO 13485 compliance? Contact Sync Resource today, and let’s help you reach your goals!