ISO 20000-1 – SMS
Service Management System — Implementation & Certification Made Easy
Several IT companies have heard about the ISO/IEC 20000-1 system, but what does it represent to these businesses? In essence, the standard establishes a global service management system for IT service providers or just service providers. Thus, any company involved in providing third-party services to clients can benefit from having this certification. The standard operates to make the service offerings to clients more efficient and effective, with lower overhead and resource wastage. The goal of implementing ISO/IEC 20000-1 in a business is to streamline operations, making it simpler to manage each system and its internal processes.
The ISO/IEC 20000-1 standard is derived from the BS 15000 standard and was revised in 2011 and again in 2018. The latest iteration of the standard takes into account the most current challenges that face the industry. The ISO/IEC 20000-1 standard is aligned and fully compatible with the previous Information technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) framework because of its heritage. Thanks to the increased importance of IT infrastructure to businesses today, this standard’s implementation serves as a benefit to more than just service providers. Even internal departments that deal with IT frameworks can benefit from having the standard implemented.
What Does ISO/IEC 20000-1 Do?
By achieving certified status for ISO/IEC 20000-1, a business demonstrates several critical elements within its business structure:
- Its dedication to following the guidelines outlined in the standard shows that it follows industry best-practice when it comes to its IT framework and administration.
- It improves its critical processes in keeping with the best practices of the industry worldwide.
- The system has a built-in self-improvement methodology, ensuring that the methods are continually updated to current technology and standards.
Constant internal and external audits ensure that the company doesn’t lapse on maintaining the standard. These audits also help improve the business processes further, making for more efficient IT service management.
How Does ISO/IEC 20000-1 Benefit an Organization?
The ISO/IEC 20000-1 standard is a critical part of showing that a service company takes their responsibility to their clients seriously. The standard requires dedication to achieve and maintain. An organization has proven its effectiveness in analyzing its processes and improving them in line with the standard by achieving accreditation. Among the inherent benefits that implementing the standard brings are:
- Improved Customer Satisfaction: Clients are more comfortable with the service provider’s business offerings and the management of its infrastructure.
- Reduction in Risk: Because of good management practices, there’s less risk to the company’s infrastructure and, as a result, more stable delivery of service.
- Improved Supplier-Buyer Relationships: The latest version of the standard offers support for supply chain management and allows for more robust development of supplier-client relationships.
- Easy Interactions with Other Standards: ISO/IEC 20000-1 can be implemented independently, but the current guidelines make it easy to integrate the standard with others easily and quickly.
- Continuous Improvement Cycles: As with most ISO standards, the system has a built-in continuous improvement cycle that focuses on ensuring that businesses that achieve the certification can continue to maintain the expected standard well into the future.
- Competitive Advantage: the standard offers businesses a chance to highlight their ability to achieve industry best practices by implementing the standard to the degree that allows them to be certified.
- Feedback on Service Delivery: As part of implementing the ISO/IEC 20000-1 standard, the business must be able to benchmark its service delivery capabilities properly. This benchmarking process is the first step towards improving service delivery.
- Exceeding Customer Expectations: The goal of this standard is to ensure that the business improves, not just through its hardware and infrastructure but in its dedication to service delivery to clients. By simplifying management principles and having a feedback system in place, the organization can be proactive in its service offerings.
A Critical Benefit To an Organization
While it’s not mandatory to implement the ISO/IEC 20000-1 standard, its implementation opens up many doors to businesses. For example, some international clients don’t deal with any companies that aren’t adequately accredited with the ISO standard. In addition to these new opportunities, the standard allows a business to strengthen its bond with existing customers by improving the quality of its services. If your business is interested in ISO/IEC 20000-1 accreditation, contact Sync Resource today! We’ll help you plot a route to getting ISO/IEC 20000-1 certified.